Camp People

 Woke up this morning to find out that my first camp director and friend for almost 30 years passed away from a stroke. She was 54. Her daughter is a very similar age that I was when I lost my mom.

If you've never worked at a summer camp I don't really have words to explain it. It's a family...a dysfunctional and loud one and one that has people who get estranged and drop away and generations that don't speak each other's language, but family all the same. Family that I've been on the phone and text with all day today. 

I really want to hug them.

In normal times, there would be a funeral and we would go to it and probably go get lunch after or end up in someone's house. And we'd reconnect and talk and hug. And it would still be awful because why is it the best people on the planet who die of strokes at 54 and leave behind teenage children and devastated communities of students and friends and Girl Scouts who wish they could hug you and laugh with you and hear you sing your signature camp song (actually she talked hers, it was kinda a monologue with guitar) just one more time. But the silver lining would be that we'd all get to see each other and hug and we'd say this is just awful but I'm so glad the silver lining is we get to see each other.

Covid times has no silver linings.

At least two of the people I know personally we notified today have Covid as we speak. At least. And there's no way we can get together and have a funeral or a lunch right now. It just isn't happening.

So we get on the phone and we get on text and we cry...and it sucks. It just sucks. And it would always suck but one of the things that Covid does is make things that already suck...suck more. 

So yeah. I don't have anything else to say except we love you Shrimp and I'm so grateful for everything you did for me. And with me. And I wish I could see your smile and hear your laugh again and you'd ask about my dad and he'd call you kid, because even after teaching in the same building as you to him you were never more than sixteen. I hope somewhere there's a Girl Scout table in heaven and my mom is there and you can say hello and there's thin mints. We'll miss you here and wish you didn't have to leave us and won't understand why...but we love you. Always.

I don't know that I can do media consumption and all that jazz today. I'm gonna go eat Ben and Jerry's Thick Mint (they seriously call it that) ice cream and watch old West Wings. But I am grateful that although I still don't feel 100% and am laying low my symptoms aren't Covid, for conversations with former Girl Scout leaders checking in on me, for the love of an online Instagram community that was surprisingly uplifting, for friends who say I love you, for my camp community, and for Shrimp. Gone too soon but never forgotten.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #70: Writers and Illustrators

Day #21: How We Came to Love Our Hospital

Day #143: Inspiration, Again