Day #236: I Need Blog Topics!

 I haven't posted in awhile...I did some genealogy for awhile which was eating my evenings and then we had a REALLY nice weekend away. We went to Fort Wordon which is a favorite family destination. It's an old military fort that was decommissioned and deeded to the state park service in the 1950s and it has this hillside overlooking the water of old empty battlements and stuff where lookouts and big guns and things were. Most of it was built in the early early years of the 20th century and the guns and ammo are long gone but the buildings are there and you can climb all over them and go in the hillsides and explore them. It's basically 6-year-old heaven and mom spent the whole time corralling Max so he didn't hurt himself. When you're there you can stay in the old housing that was for army officers, too, it's fun. And Max slept in a big kid bed ALL BY HIMSELF, which was amazing.

Back in the school swing today, which is Monday...oh, man, if Mondays are hard normally, distance learning Mondays after a weekend away, ouch! But Max and I napped and you know...surviving.

Tomorrow is school picture day. THAT should be an adventure. They seem to have a plan. I wish I had remembered when it was and gotten his haircut. You know. You get the mom you get. Can't trade her in.

In an effort to post more regularly, I've decided to include my blog in my word count for NaNoWriMo, which I talked about in last post, which means...I need to come up with some blog topics. I feel like getting on here and talking about...the same thing everyday isn't fun for me, anyone reading, or the posterity I claim to be keeping this for. So in my (incredibly limited) prep for NaNo, I'm going to try to come up with some topics of things to blog about. Right now...drawing a huge blank. It turns out that pandemic life...not so interesting. Who knew?

Media update: I have been reading A TON. I am now past the 6 week mark of reading 100+ pages a day. The plan is to continue that through Saturday, which is the end of the month, and then scale it back to fit in more writing. I have 5 books in my pile to finish this week, whoa.

I took Sick Kids in Love on the trip with us and finished it. So damn good. It was a 2019 YA release about a girl with chronic illness (RA,) who has promised she will never date...and then she meets boy with chronic illness. But there's also lots of mom drama and it's basically a love letter to NYC so it was awesome escapism, and yeah...really good book. Then I started Lose Your Mother, which is good for the genealogy obsessed but a very challenging book...about an author going to explore the Atlantic slave trade in search of her history. I'm working through it, glad I'm reading it...it's very not "for me," which as a white person is really good because we as white people don't reach for stuff not "for" us nearly often enough. But I am breaking it up with some other stuff. I'm still reading the collected poems of Emily Dickinson and today I started A Place at the Table, which is middle grade about a Pakistani-American girl who has to suffer through a middle school cooking class taught by her mom. Yummy!

In terms of TV...lots of Ally McBeal when it's just me, and Josh and I are enjoying the new series of the Great British Baking Show. Thank God for that show, man.

Today I'm grateful for napping with Max, loving books, not fighting about math, comfort food dinner and baking brownies, a wonderful weekend with fantabulous weather, and going to bed which I'm gonna do right about...now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #70: Writers and Illustrators

Day #21: How We Came to Love Our Hospital

Day #143: Inspiration, Again