Day #215: I Don't Want to Talk About the President Having COVID-19

...so as a result I'm basically off Facebook again. I was kinda thinking I'd hang around until Halloween and post pics of the kids and then peace out until after the election, but nope, no way, not doing it. Maybe I'll pop IN and post pics of the kids on Halloween. Voter's pamphlet is here. Hoping to see ballots this week and get them turned in ASAP so I can be done with the only part of this democratic process that I control. 

Saw Dad this weekend, first time since Labor Day. First time I'd been in his house with him since February. Wore a mask, but it was still weird. Just me. I was headed to a get together that was just adults which never happens so I was in the neighborhood. He was going through old family photos. He's throwing a TON of stuff away and deciding what to save and who to pass stuff off to and it's HARD. Two marriages worth of stuff and he's alone. I wish I could help him more. I try. It was cool to see some of the photos. I have albums to go through now. 

I haven't hugged him since February. He's a terrible hugger, so he can't really miss it all that much but I do. It was nice to see him, though. He actually seemed more upbeat than he has in awhile, which is weird given what he was doing. He's been cleaning out his garage so he was feeling accomplished. I'm hoping the kids can see him soon. They haven't seen him since Labor Day. Maybe on Wednesday.

Things are chugging along. I think Josh is feeling acclimated to his new job now. School...is interesting. The teacher got kicked out of the Zoom meeting this morning so it was just the kids and it actually worked for a few minutes until it descended in to Lord of the Flies, which was predictable.

Max is hopefully settling into a new sleeping pattern. He's been going to sleep without an adult in his room...it still takes some doing but no one has to be in there until he actually falls asleep. He went through a phase in April when he did that, though, so I'm guarded.

Actually got to go to a playground and play with a friend after schoolwork was done today, which was amazingly delightful. I mean, we were masked up but I felt safe doing it and it was SO GOOD to see them. Hoping for more of the same if the weather holds but honestly school has been sucking a lot out of us. 

Been thinking lately about National Novel Writing Month. I did a version of it last year where I wrote in verse and enjoyed it. I don't feel up to writing a novel this year but I do have a picture book and two short stories I want to work on so considering doing some version of it. I really want to do more writing and could use the inspiration. The picture book is Christmas themed so it's a good time of year.

Media update: been reading A TON. I've read 100+ pages a day since September 11, trying to keep the streak going as long as possible. Since I last spoke to you I read Larger Than Life, a history of boy bands, which was a delightful day. I also finished tonight The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek which is historical fiction about a librarian, be still my heart. And then over the weekend I read two Lois Lenski kids books from the 1950s, one I loved as a child and one new to me. Then I just started Prairie Lotus, which is supposed to be like a Little Town on the Prairie but with a half Chines main character. Award winning author, should be interesting. In terms of TV, I've been watching Ally McBeal, which I do when I get in melancholy self obsessed periods. Perfect for now. 

Today I'm grateful for my wonderful family, that the school day is over and we can start fresh with that tomorrow, that I baked an apple pie yesterday so it was handy when things fell apart and for nice weather and the chance to play outside. Also that I found my favorite mask yesterday. It's important to have a favorite mask. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #70: Writers and Illustrators

Day #21: How We Came to Love Our Hospital

Day #143: Inspiration, Again