Day #142: Baseball Opening Day

So I forgot they were opening baseball season today until I turned the radio on on the way to the grocery store to get whipping cream. Because Josh asked for strawberry shortcake and while I'm not a a whipped cream fan generally strawberry shortcake can not be made without real whipping cream prove me wrong. But that's how much I had been paying attention to baseball.

Now some if it is my team, which is in a rebuilding year for like at least the 3rd year in a row. The 2020 baseball season was going to be hard on Mariners fans...anyway. There's really not much left to root for. At least last Opening Day you could cheer for Ichiro opening the season in Japan even though you knew he was going to retire right after that which he did. So it was gonna be tough. But we are Mariners fans. We are used to that. I grew up with this team. I remember entire sections of upper deck seats in the Kingdome remaining covered because no one sat up there ever. This isn't new.

Add to that that you can't go see them even if you want to, they are just starting now and it's near August (which it doesn't feel like) and with a 60 game season the records seem more or less meaningless plus they are opening against the Astros who are still recovering from their cheating in last year's playoffs and it's hard to feel even a little bit inspired. I always cry when they play Dave Niehaus on the radio welcoming back baseball. Always. Today it didn't phase me.

I may have snapped at my husband just a little bit when I got home. I may be a little oversensitive about feeling like I'm being told how to feel. I learned this today. It was all me, not him, total overreaction to nothing. I feel like if I ever do write a memoir of living in this time that would make a decent subtitle.

James and I journeyed to the wilds of Target today to buy jammies and so he could pick out a birthday present for Max, who now rides in the toddler carrier like a champ and doesn't fit in the baby carrier well...not sure how I feel about THAT. And the strawberry shortcake made with Fair scone mix was delicious. And while not letting Max nap at 5 was hard and involved much sobbing, it must have been worth it because he is currently asleep. So yeah. Not your typical opening day of baseball season but I have forgotten entirely now what is typical and what is not.

Today's media consumption: I'm going to try to finish The Left Hand of Darkness tonight, should not be an issue. I also started the last of the new books I bought during the library closure, a poetry collection called Whereas by a Native author. Not far enough into it yet to really have an opinion. Also going to try to do my Bible reading tonight...have moved on to...Leviticus. Ugh.

Today I'm thankful for strawberry shortcake, that my children are sleeping, one on one time with James, the toddler carrier, and not being told how to feel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #70: Writers and Illustrators

Day #21: How We Came to Love Our Hospital

Day #143: Inspiration, Again