Day #131: It's a Bad Idea to Start Writing this at 11:45

But it's been so long and I miss doing it, so I want to do an update even if it is a quick one.

Max's sleep has been really rough which is why it's been so long. I don't know what his deal is but he is back to not wanting to sleep alone, ever, after spending the first 2 months in quarantine being a kid that you could actually put to bed for the first time in his short life. So sleep and spare time have both been in short supply which makes Mama cranky. And since he is finally in bed I should be as well.

We had an almost normal day on Saturday...we visited with a couple of friends, James even had a friend to actually play with that we deemed a safe situation. It had been so dang long and with him entertained Mama got to sit....in the company of adults...and work on a puzzle. It was bizarre. But in a good way. And then a friend had some struggles...her kid, my kid's age, developed a medical problem that landed him the ER. No one suspects COVID, but in these times any kind of medical problem is bigtime anxiety for us parents.

The to start school or not to start school debate rages on. I want to be far away from it. Both ideas sound horrible to me. There is no right answer. There is no good answer. Our superintendent has announced we will be all remote learning in the fall and I don't know what I think about it. I just feel numb. My sister asked me what our plans were, would we homeschool, etc. I have no idea. And I haven't talked to James about it. The kid has only been out of school for like three weeks, I don't want to think about school right now.

I'm drowning in books...a bunch from the library I've been wanting, I borrowed a few from my BFF, and of course there's always the endless piles that I've hoarded, so when I need to escape the world (which is often,) I bury my nose in a book. I even threw the titles of the ones I really want to get to (all 13 of them!) into a can so when I finish one I just draw the next. It's been nice. I want my kids to remember me as playing with them, hanging out with them, then shooing them away when I want to read. James often asks Josh in the morning if he can play iPad which often Josh will agree to because it gets everyone else a bit more sleep. I knew the iPad was dead this morning so when I got up and asked Josh where James was he said, oh, downstairs reading a book. I freaking love that kid.

Media consumption, hmmm, where were we? Finished the Helen Keller biography, it was super short. Not bad. Read Dear Martin, which I really didn't like and given the topic I felt bad that I didn't really like it but the writing bothered me. I'm getting The Hate U Give from the library this week which I've tried to read before but set aside because it was too emotional. Hopefully I'll get through it this time and it will be a better work on that topic than Dear Martin. Today I pulled from the can Rebel Bookseller which is nonfiction and I kinda went ugh, but it's so fun and I'm zooming through it. I became a librarian because I couldn't figure out how to run a bookstore and it's nice to keep that dream alive even if it is destined to stay just a dream.

Today I'm grateful for my friend's kid's improved health, that Max is finally sleeping, that I'm not doing this parenting thing alone, for ice cream, books, the hot shower I'm about to take and these kids that are driving me insane but are healthy and happy and give great hugs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #70: Writers and Illustrators

Day #21: How We Came to Love Our Hospital

Day #143: Inspiration, Again