Day #103: Max Took a Loooong Nap, Which I Totally Wasted

In retrospect, I should have spent the time napping myself. I mean, the kid conked out. In his own room. For multiple hours. While James watched more TV than I'm proud of.

I mean, okay, he's awake right now, but that is currently Daddy's problem.

You know what I did? I talked to friends on facebook...about books! I read. I watched Golden Girls reruns (I needed a better version of bad TV.) And it was...kinda nice, really.

We had rest time. We got outside and walked. It was a lot like every day was back when James was this size (before he gave up naps 2 months later, let's not talk about that.)

I think my standards for what makes a good day versus a bad day have adjusted. Good days now are...pretty normal. Maybe that's not a bad thing. Maybe we're learning appreciation for what we have.

Both Josh and I had the end of school blues...school officially gets out on Friday, with more whimper than bang. In some ways it's kind of nice having a kindergartner because he literally doesn't know what he's missing. He has no idea what the end of school should look like. On Wednesday we drive by, pick up the school supplies, drop off the library book and a gift for the teacher. I'm gonna try hard not to cry.

Short one tonight. They've been short lately. I don't have a ton of time for sleep or writing. I'm keeping my head above water. This shit is hard.

Media consumption: working on Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry. Man, is that an awesome book. Also made progress on Felon: poems...it has a found poem in it that is actual court documents, it's stunning. I want to write more found poetry.

Today I'm grateful for puddle jumping, fresh air, leftovers, sitting down to a meal with my family, James trying not to laugh when he plays me, some actual for real honest to goodness down time, and one more day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #70: Writers and Illustrators

Day #21: How We Came to Love Our Hospital

Day #143: Inspiration, Again