Day #75: I was Having a Really Good Day Until the Washer Flooded My Laundry Room

Today was the 40th anniversary of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. I grew up hearing about it but don't actually remember it...I guess it is my version of my great aunt's relationship to the Spanish flu. Except I didn't lose anyone in the eruption. Although, my dad told me today that during the eruption my mom was driving me (1.5) and my sister (3.5) home from our grandmother's funeral. She died May 12.

Sometimes I get a little stage fright about what I share on this blog. The world situation is very very big and my world feels like it just keeps getting smaller. But what I realized today...I am not documenting what is happening in THE world. I am documenting what is happening in MY world. My mother's Mt. St. Helens experience was very different from everyone's around her because she lost her mother to cancer six days before it happened. No one experiences the world in the same way.

Today was a domestic day. I did bake the cookies I told you I needed to and I made spaghetti bolognese for the second time...the recipe is not hard at all but it does take like 5 hours, most of which is: let simmer, occasionally stir. So I was in the kitchen and feeling very domestic and like a good mom, I was scrubbing toilets and cleaning floors and Max was even helping, I was so very Donna Reed, even though he didn't nap and then at 4 p.m., 10 minutes after I had started another load of laundry, Josh, who was in a meeting and whose workspace is right next to the laundry room, texted me "the washer is beeping." I ran down to check, figured it was just unbalanced, didn't even bring Max inside just told James to watch him for 30 seconds and...so much water.

Josh keeps manuals of old computers and things like that in our laundry room, plus it's one of those big rooms that clutter just accumulates in, so there was the quick clean to try to get stuff off the floor, the emergency run to the store for kitty litter to try to soak up the water, all that jazz. Not sure what happens...it appears to have busted a part because it does not, as they say, hold water, and instead just sends it all gushing out onto the floor.

This is the sort of thing that could happen in normal times and really isn't a huge deal, in fact having him home to help was nice...I do wonder what I would have done if it were normal times and this happened when it was just me and the kids. Other than the fact that my bandana over the face mask solution was being a pain at the store and smooshing my nose like it hasn't done before, this was a totally survivable crisis. It was just...I was having a good day. And, if I'm completely honest, I don't get a ton of those. I played with James, I rocked letter of the day, I felt like he was learning things, I was being domestic, I was cleaning, I...do not need this.

But such is life. And washer repair people are working normal hours so one comes Wednesday. More and more people are working normal hours, it seems, just most retail is curbside pickup, other than that and masks in the grocery store it feels more normal every day. Unless you are class of 2020 in which case it totally sucks.

Today's media: the washer ate my reading time, but I am almost finished with my Anne of Windy Poplars audiobook, I did a little more How I Met Your Mother and am hoping to watch another episode of Little Fires Everywhere when I'm done here.

Today I'm grateful for a slow return to normalcy, spaghetti bolognese and chocolate chip cookies, the chance to talk to my dad, cracking jokes with Max, playing with James, successful homeschool endeavors, and laughing with my husband.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #70: Writers and Illustrators

Day #21: How We Came to Love Our Hospital

Day #143: Inspiration, Again