Day #101: Seeing Grandpa

Today was Social Distance in the Pouring Rain Day. Thank goodness for Grandpa's covered patio.

It wasn't exactly fun. It's not fun to sit on a sheltered patio in the pouring rain six feet away from someone. But the kids ran around and threw balls and they loved seeing him...they just adore him...and I liked seeing him as well. Since his 80th birthday party was cancelled in March, this is only the 3rd time we've seen him. In ordinary times we see him at least every two weeks or so if not more.

He does look old. This has been hard on him. His mobility issues make walking harder. His neighbors are helping him with a ramp into his house. He had a bad fall a couple of weeks ago that he's mostly recovered from now but it took its toll. I mean, the man is 80 and his already limited social circles have been slashed. But he is still keeping his humor and his overall optimism. Most days. No one is an optimist every day.

James brought him an early Father's Day present, a book he made that opened with the line "Once there was an old person." It made grandpa laugh. And grandpa had ice cream bars and lemonade for the kids. Of course.

We remain vigilant but I'm less panicky about seeing him than I was at first. Social distance works. Staying outdoors works. No solution is perfect but seeing him is better than not seeing him 100% of the time. I hope next time we can see him in the sun and roast marshmallows in his fire pit.

In other news, the parents are cranky and being short with the kids. Rain is not helping this week #15 of stir crazy pandemic-ness. Everyone needs more sleep and more patience, both of which are in short supply. We hold it together but hope the rain doesn't last too much longer.

Media consumption: I finished From the Desk of Zoe Washington today. It was just lovely. I read a little more of Felon: Poems. I now have to go put Max to sleep (again) but if he goes down I am hoping to start Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.

Today I'm grateful for my ever understanding husband, James making me laugh, books that make me think, coffee, and a good roof to keep out this driving rain. And health for both us and my dad.

Side note: 14+ weeks of being stuck at home will make your forks all disappear. It's a thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #70: Writers and Illustrators

Day #21: How We Came to Love Our Hospital

Day #143: Inspiration, Again